Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Plagarism

Unfortunately, an all too common phenomenon in the world of Torah publications is plagarism. I see it and have read numerous articles about it "calling out" various authors for plagarism. The Rebbe Shlita is incredibly original in his thought and others who don't have the same gift "borrow" - without attribution. [There is nothing wrong with using someone else's material as long as this is acknowledged.]

This bothers me a great deal and I also want to "call out" different works for this sin but I am not sure if it is permitted and subsumed under the rubric of "Lashon Hara Li-toeles".

So in the meantime I refrain.

I also often wonder about the psychological reasons for plagarism. It really says a lot about the plagarist. ואין כאן המקום להאריך בזה - ותן לחכם ויחכם עוד