Saturday, June 30, 2012

"How Much Is Mr. .... Worth? I Heard He Manages Over A Billion Dollars!"

I wrote someone an email and decided to publicize it [omitting of course personal details].

People often talk about how much money other people possess. A rich person is called by chazal "אמיד" which means "assessed" because people are wont to assess a rich persons wealth.

It is no secret that I am trying to build up a yeshiva/kollel which requires vast funding. This of course creates an interest in knowing how much money people have. I must confess - the entire idea sickens me. BY GOLLY - What business of mine is it to know how much money people have?! Moreover, nobody really knows how much money other people have. A person can be living a very extravagant lifestyle and have a fancy house while being poor. The fancy vacations he pays for with borrowed money and the house he bought when he was doing well. Recently I went to a very expensive house and was told by an insider that contrary to public opinion the owner is not rich at all and business is down.

I am happy I know that information so that I can daven for him and so that I STOP judging people based on their externals.

Let us stop the conversations on who is "worth" what and mind our own business unless there is some practical benefit in knowing. There is too much good to be accomplished in this world to take up our valuable time on matters that don't pertain to us.

Love and blessings:-)