Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Post That Wasn't

I love writing. I find that it is emotionally theraputic, stimulates intellectual creativity and is a great avenue to share the ideas that Hashem has bestowed upon me [in all of his mercy] to a wider audience.

I started writing a summary of the two drashos I gave over Shabbos in shul and stopped in the middle.

Why?

I just felt that the written word could not accurately convey what I said and how I said it. That is the secret of Torah she-beal peh; a living transmission of the word of Hashem. Torah she-bichtav is NOT enough. The written word cannot completely encompass an idea. Once I turned my thoughts into Torah she-beal peh I felt that writing them down would be a yerida. In fact, it was originally FORBIDDEN to record Torah she-beal peh on paper [and was only permitted due to extenuating circumstances]. Now I understand why. The human being is defined by Unkelos as a רוח ממללא - a talking spirit. How can one replace a talking spirit by hitting squares on a keyboard?

He can't.

The written word just lacks a certain spirit.

Pick up a Rebbe and go to his shiurim....