Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Machshava - Part 3

Let us say that I am on a diet. Thise who know me can attest to the fact that if I would lose too many pounds I would cease to be. 5-10 and a half and about 130 pounds doesn't start me with much beef - but let's say. 

My problem is that when I pass by that ice-cream store, I CAN'T RESIST!!! I see Reb Ben, I smell Reb Jerry - and I melt like ice-cream on a hot summer day in Vacation Village. How can I overcome my urge to go in??

One thing I find very effective is walking around with no money or credit card. Saves a ton of money and also prevents the purchase of things you will regret buying. 

But there is another way. Imagine dozens of times that you walk by the store and don't enter. 

When you actually walk by it will be MUCH EASIER not to go in because you have done it so many times. 

אך מה שכתבת כי המחשבה גם כן עושה רושם, אם גם מחשבה קלה, נכון הוא מאד, וכבר שמעתי דבר נפלא בזה, שהנסיון מורה, כי אם יחשוב אדם פעמים הרבה לעשות איזה מעשה אפילו שלא על דרך הכרת הלב, מכל מקום המחשבה הרבה תבטל את העצלות ויעשה את המעשה ההוא, וכן גם המחשבה הרבה מועלת להקל בשבירת התאוה וכדומה, והיינו שמחשבה עושה רושם דק מאד, אבל כאשר כופלים חוט של משי נעשה כעבות העגלה כידוע... וכבר כתב מהר"ל שהמחשבה תחילת הדביקות... (חלק ד עמוד שנז)