Sunday, December 3, 2017

I, I and I

I have a system whereby I assess people. I can't reveal everything but here is one criterion - how much they talk about themselves. 

A boy was on a date with a girl and spoke about himself and his accomplishments for an hour straight. Finally, when he was finished he said "OK, enough me talking about myself. What do YOU think about me?"  

Some people have a machala that EVERYTHING has to revolve around themselves. Whom they know, how they are related, where they went, what they did etc. etc. ad nauseam. I wish them a refuah shleima. Not surprising in the age of the selfie. 

A good avodah is to remove the spotlight from yourself and to try to think of ways to make OTHERS shine. [The obvious upshot is that you become even greater by doing that. But that can't be the intent.]