Monday, November 21, 2011

Lesson Learned From A Crying Baby

Tonight [as many nights..] my daughter Chana Leiba arose from her slumber and cried until I picked her up and held her. Every time I tried to put her back in her crib she cried and then was at peace once again when I took her into my arms.

What is wrong? Is her crib not comfortable? Do I teach her deep Torah when I hold her??

No - and no! Chana Leiba, like every other baby, has a primal need for connection, in the absence of which her soul can't be at rest. When I hold her she is connected to a human being whom she knows in the most visceral way - cares for her [and she doesn't even know what visceral means:-)].

We are ALL "Chana Leiba" - we just don't always realize it. But take my advice [free with the purchase of a new I-phone, while supplies last!]: Connect to other people. Love them and let them love you.

That primal need for connection never goes away.

Chansie my sweet baby - thank you for teaching me.

מכל מלמדי השכלתי