Sunday, November 27, 2011

Words From An Angel

Rav Yekusiel Yehuda Halberstam the Klausenberger Rebbe was a Tzaddik, an angel and a master of the Torah. His halachic prowess is displayed in his multi volumed Divrei Yetziv. Now, most halachists decry [I hope that means what I think it means - otherwise I'll feel stupid:-). Like I found out after writing my Thanksgiving post that the Bears didn't play the Lions! And that Walter Payton is out of the league - and out of the world. I am soooo passe. Hey, "football" - "passe", great pun!! I also haven't the foggiest idea how to get that squiggly line over the "e" of passe, but at least I can spell squiggly. And for the record this is the first time EVER I am using this font. Sheeeeheeeecheeyuuuuniiiiii vikiyimuuuuuniiiiii lazman haze. Have I gotten off the topic? Well I'm talking about "zman"..] the practice of davening after the appropriate time. It is well known in Chassidic circles that tzaddikim davened after the zman but it is stressed that this is for tzaddikim only and not for the common man. How surprised I was to see this passage from the Rebbes chumash shiur [parshas vayechi 1983].




ולזה היה המנהג בחסידים שאיחרו להתפלל וזקני הק' בעל בני יששכר מצדיק את המנהג הזה שלא הקפידו על זמן תפילה ומבאר שסיבת הדבר הוא אשר לדאבוננו אנו מגושמים מאוד וכשקמים מהשינה עדיין הוא מגושם לגמרי ראשו בל עמו ומי יודע איך עברה עליו שנתו .... לכל הפחות עומד יהודי ואומר מודה אני ובוכה להשי"ת בברכת התורה ולוקח מיד גמרא ומתיישב ללמוד ולמד כמה שעות לפני התפילה לכה"פ דף אחד או שני דפים גמרא ותוס' ומתעמק בתורת אמת ומתפשט קצת מהגשמיות ומטהר את מחשבותיו לאחר מכן יכולים לעמוד להתפלל לה' ואז יש לתפילתו פנים אחרות ממי שמשכים בבוקר ומיד ממטתו הריהו הולך להתפלל כי כך א"א להתפלל ואפילו אם ירוץ למקוה ויטבול שם ויבלה את זמנו בדברים בטלים ובדברי שטות אז לא כפי שהוא מדמה שהוא רוחץ את עצמו אלא הוא מטמא עצמו שם אם רוצים להתפלל כיהודי צריך ללמוד קודם גמ' ותוס' לפני התפילה ובודאי תבוא עליהם ברכה על מי שרוצה להתפלל מוקדם כוותיקין אבל כדי להתפלל אז עליו להשכים בחצות לילה וילמד כמה שעות גמ' תוס' ולאחר מכן הוא יוכל להיות כהוותיקין ולא כל הרוצה ליטול את השם יבוא ויטול כי להתפלל בפטפוטי מילין בעלמא וראשו בל עמו זהו אינו מצוה ואיתא בגמ' כונות שמי שאינו יכול לכוין לבו אל יתפלל ותפילה הוא כמו קרבן שנאמר בו זבח רשעים תועבה.






I haven't the will to translate the whole passage [maybe my good friend whom I often see on the way to the Kotel, you know who you are, will do that]. But his point is that one should only daven bi'zman if he is going to daven i.e. with kavana, otherwise what's the point. So better learn some gemara with tosphos for a few hours and then daven properly, even though sof zman tefilla has long past. See also the sefer Shu"t Eretz Tzvi simman 36.






I will NOT start missing zman tefilla but I WILL take the mussar that tefilla without kavana is NOT tefilla.