Sunday, July 29, 2018

Cryptic Kiryat Sefer


לזכות שמירת חיילי צה"ל

I didn't spend Shabbos in Kiryat Sefer but I was learning his commentary on the Rambam [Melachim 5/1]. I found myself VERY perplexed!!! 


The Rambam tells us that first the king fights a מלחמת מצוה and only when he is done fighting all of his מלחמות מצוה may he then fight מלחמות רשות. 

Says the Kiryat Sefer:


"אין המלך וכו' ואח"כ מלחמת רשות עפ"י סנהדרין של ע"א וכדילפינן בפ"ק בברכות וסנהדרין כדכתבינן בהלכות סנהדרין דלמלחמת רשות בעי רשות בי"ד של ע"א כששואלין ישראל שאין להם במה להתפרנס משמע דמלחמת מצוה קודמת דאי איכא מלחמת מצוה קמייהו הא איכא להו פרנסה".

Look at the what Rav Mann ztz"l writes in the Be'er Miriam. If you read through the entire section and understand, then you are the MAN!!! [Rav Avidan gives an explanation in the sefer אמרות מלך which didn't convince me. I saw nobody else explain these cryptic words].