Tuesday, November 23, 2021

We Must Know That We Don't Know

We think we know people and then are surprised when they act in certain ways. 

Here is a lesson for life: We don't know ANYBODY!!! 

I remember when I was in shidduchim and was told things about the girl and her family. She is a nice girl [והא ראיה - I married her and we are still married 72 years later] and has nice people in her family but people who told me about her and the family just didn't know them. The people who told me weren't intentionally lying [even though that happens very very often in shidduchim] but they thought that they knew them and didn't. And people who told about me and my family didn't know us either. 

Then when my daughter was in shidduchim same story. People told me things which were inaccurate and even false. Not b/c they necessarily intended to lie but they just didn't really know the other side. And what people said about us was ALSO not fully accurate. 

Who knows me? To be honest - not a soul. Not that I have any terrible skeletons in my closet [although I must admit that there was a time when I watched just about any sport such as golf, rodeo, volleyball and car racing] but I am not interested in people knowing what is going on inside of me. My own wife and children don't fully know me. I know myself pretty well [and frankly I like myself so I thank Hashem that I can spend all my time w/ someone I like so much]. Hashem knows me better. But that's it. 

We don't know anybody. People think tens of thousands of thoughts a day. How many of them do we know. If a man sees an attractive woman his delusions tell him that he knows her. She is a wonderful kind woman. No. All he knows is what she looks like and that his hormones are active.

So always reserve in your mind a place where you just don't know. We like to know and understand. That is how we are wired [even though I rarely see human beings with wires unless they are professional musicians]. So we know CERTAIN THINGS about people but not everything.  

A fortiori - על אחת כמה וכמה וכמה וכמה וכמה - that we don't know Hashem. Some people have Him allllllllllllll figured out. Or so they think. But the reality is that we know almost NOTHING about Him. All we know is that we have to keep the mitzvos that He gave us, love Him, fear Him etc. etc. and that as we are taught by the Mekubalim, He is the Ultimate Good [and we don't even know what that means - and I don't think that the Rambam would have approved of such a characterization]. More than that - לית מחשבה תפסיא ביה כלל - the human mind cannot conceive of Him. So when something happens and people say "Hashem is doing this b/c...." or when someone dies and people say "She was so special Hashem needed her in Shomayim..."  or other such statements, they are based on one's personal, contrived narrative. In our wildest dreams we can't understand fully Who Hashem is and even what He is thinking - כי לא מחשבותי מחשבותיכם.  

We don't have to know. The Torah is less a book of theology and much more a book of guidance so that we build a just society and perfect ourselves as people. Hashem's "pleasure" [לריח ניחוח] or "anger" [וחרה אף השם] are just metaphors used so that we can understand for ourselves whether this act is good or evil. We know some of what Hashem DOES and what He WANTS but we don't know who He IS. 

This is a HUUUUUGEEEE topic that requires not one blog post but many sefarim. Here is a recent offering on Moreh Nevuchim where the Rambam explains. 

Bottom line: Humility!! תכלית הידיעה שלא נדע!!!!!!!!!