Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tzvi Moshe Helps Us Build The Mishkan In Our Hearts

In this week’s Parsha, we take all the planning of the Mishkan and bring it into action. The donations are given, the artisans are chosen and the construction gets underway. Let’s try to focus on the way the Jews donated to the cause and see what we can take from their behavior as a lesson in how we invest in our relationship with HaKadosh Baruch Hu.

In the opening Psukim, donations begin to flood in. There is a common theme – or as we will soon discover – almost an obsession with one concept. Let’s look at a short series of Psukim and see what emerges. In 35:5 Hashem says that Kol Nidiv Libo - all who have giving hearts should give generously to the cause. In 35:21 we see that every person Asher Nisa’o Libo, whose heart inspired them, came and donated. Then again the Torah describes in 35:22 that the men and women, Kol Nidiv Lev - everyone with generous hearts came and gave. In 35:26 the Torah singles out the women Asher Nasa Liban, who had inspired hearts came and gave. Lastly, in 35:29 the Perek comes to a close by repeating once more that every man and woman Asher Nadav Libam, whose hearts were open, generously donated to the construction of the Mishkan.
Things are becoming very clear that when the Jews rushed forward to donate the Psukim repeat again and again, with stark emphasis that the Jews gave with their hearts.

Let’s analyze an anomaly in the first Passuk we mentioned above. In 35:5 Hashem commands the Jews, “Kichu Me’Itchem Terumah LaHashem.” The Passuk is classically translated as ‘Take for yourselves a donation for Hashem.’ But this is problematic in that is dodges the literal meaning of the word Me’Itchem. The word Me’Itchem, which we translated as ‘for yourselves’ really means ‘from yourselves’! Why does the Passuk say that the donation comes from the donator on the personal level – Take from yourselves – there is no mention of the physical property, rather only donations from the person. Why is this?

Based on what we are saying the answer should be obvious. We have demonstrated that the donations were coming from the heart – they really meant it. Thus when the Jews contributed to the physical donation ‘things’ - no matter what the things were, the physical item was subordinate to the fact the donation came from the gut. Yes, they were donating physical property, but they did it in a way that reflected a real, deep, internal relationship with what they were giving to. They weren’t merely giving ‘things’ - they were giving of themselves - Me’Itchem.

Maybe we can address another linguistic point of interest in the Passuk. When collecting taxes for the government, is it called taking taxes? No. It’s an act of giving. Donating from one’s resources to a common cause is surely not an act of taking, but rather an act of giving. If this is the case, why does the Passuk say K’chu Me’Itchem Terumah La’Hashem, Take from yourselves a donation for Hashem? Surely the Passuk should read, T’nu Me’Itchem, Give from yourselves a donation. Why does the Passuk say ‘Take’?

In a book called The Road Less Traveled, the author describes relationship building as a self-expanding experience. Why? At birth, an infant feels at one with the universe. There is no difference between it and its mother. It feels hungry and mommy naturally shows up. It doesn’t have enough of a self-identity to realize that when it moves its arm, the whole universe is not moving its arm along with it; in the brain of an infant, it and the world are one entity. As the brain begins to develop, the baby finds limits in itself. Mommy does not always show up when there's a problem. It can’t simply will things to be. This begins the process of coming into its own identity, that there are separations between it and everything else that is ‘out there.’ It is thereby separated from the universe and begins to exist alone.

Relationships are what change that. When I invest myself into another person, when I invest the spiritual me - my time, my effort, and my worry into another being, consequently my being extends into theirs. I have taken from me and put into another. Thus it is relationships that promote growth. I come to exist on a greater plane than just the corporeal. I expand past my physical, bodily limitations. Due to what I give to others, I now exist in ‘them.’

This being said, it would be logical to extend this idea by suggesting that if investment of me into another is an advancement of my entity, then it would be reasonable to say that the biggest evolution of ‘me’, meaning the greatest self-expanding experience I can have is when I invest in the greatest, most universal thing.

So when I give of myself to Hashem, who is above space, who is the source of all power, the Creator of all things, I am opening myself up toward the Infinite. Giving of myself to build a relationship with Hashem is the single healthiest thing I can do. I gain on the deal way more that Hashem does. Giving of myself to HaKadosh Baruch Hu is really an act of taking because of how much I get out of it.

Now we can understand the Passuk with a whole new insight. Hashem is giving instructions for the generations on how to build a relationship, how to build a Mishkan within ourselves. K’chu Me’Itchem Terumah La’Hashem, Kol Nidiv Libo Yivi'eha Eis Trumas Hashem.
‘Take from yourselves’: This is an act of taking – it’s in your best interest; invest your gut, really give. ‘A contribution for Hashem’: Take your ‘self’ and open it up toward the infinite.
‘Every person whose heart drives him to give should bring to God.’: Are you among those who want to take their essence and become something bigger than themselves? Then take your drives, your hopes, fears… take your heart, and give it to Hashem.

The building of the Mishkan is a lesson in relationship-building with the divine. The Mishkan represents the concretization of the Jew’s relationship with HaKadosh Baruch Hu. What they did is a blueprint for what we have to do. In the construction of our personal Mishkan, ie how we forge our relationship with Hashem, we see that the Torah shows us that in order to build a Mishkan, the process needs to start with heart. You need to really mean it. And from there the ability to grow is infinite.

What does the Mishkan represent? Unlike the Beis HaMikdash, the Mishkan travels. Throughout all of the troubles of the desert, the Mishkan remains. In this way, the Mishkan represents my carrying my relationship with HaKadosh Baruch Hu everywhere I go, and no matter what situation I'm in.

With this let’s take a look at the famous Jewish line, “Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh” In my heart I will build a Mishkan for Hashem. The word Bilvavi means ‘In my heart.’ But the Eved Sameach explains that the word Bilvavi can also be translated as With my heart. “Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh” means that 'With my heart I will build a sanctuary for Hashem.' My heart is the tool that I will use to build a Mishkan! It is only when I invest my deepest essence in my relationship with Hashem that I build a Mishkan, that I attain the solidification of a real sanctuary of holiness that becomes the way I perceive my entire life.

B’Ezras Hashem we should be Zoche to this. That through a real investment of self we can attain clear, elevating relationships with Hashem. To really breath that relationship. And to know that through this I attach myself to something infinitely bigger than myself. This is the whole goal of our lives. If we can do this there is no doubt that we will live lives of meaning, lives of fulfillment, moving closer to the Creator and ultimately the redemption!