Thursday, March 18, 2010

When The Sechel Goes Off Duty

Recently I quoted Emerson who said "It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."

I was reminded of a story that happened with me. Sixteen years ago Chol Hamoed Pesach I went out with my [future] wife for the first time. I was and am a socially awkward person. Shy and introverted as well. :). Anyway [and this part is true] I said something on the date that was one of the DUMBEST things to say to a girl. [Sorry sweetest friends - I can't tell you what. Why humiliate myself.] If today a girl would tell me that a boy said to her on a date what I had said I would probably advise her to never go out with him again or at least to be very wary. SO DUMB!!

Well, she gave me a chance - and lo and behold she agreed to marry me as well. She doesn't regret it [to the best of my knowledge].

And since then - I have said countless other dumb things!!

Moral: Give people a chance. We are all only human.