Sunday, February 16, 2020

An "Alternative" Chazzan

I davened in a certain shul tonight for Mincha and Maariv. After davening the Chazan approached me [as often happens Baruch Hashem] and introduced himself. He had been a student in the Yeshiva I was at 17 years ago. We started talking and I asked if he is married. He told me that he is not and so I asked him if he wants to be. He then asked if I was willing to have a controversial conversation. I replied that I was [and I knew what was coming...].

He WANTS to be married - but not to a woman.... 

Ahhhhhhh. 

[He told me that the dating is going really badly. He went to a well known coed high school. I couldn't help but think that being a homosexual really takes a lot of the fun out of being in a coed school...] 

Which got me thinking about the Halachos of such people being Shaliach Tzibbur [the Rabbi of the shul, who was present at the minyan, is aware of this man's orientation]. Anyway we chatted for a while and parted amicably. Maybe we will address this from a Halachic perspective in the future. Here and here are Hashkafic perspectives.