Monday, February 24, 2020

Jewish Pride And Jewish Skulls

In both the US and Israel, they have these "gay pride" parades. Why is it a source of pride that one is attracted to members of the same gender? What moral achievement is this?? A man wants to have sex with other men [and will never have biological children] and views this alone as a cause for pride and celebration. Soooo bizzarre!!! 

But there are things in which we SHOULD have pride. One of them is that we are Jewish. We are the source of the moral code of western culture. We are a light unto the nations. We have brought so much benefit to the world in a myriad of ways. We are G-d's Chosen People!! We have SOOO MUCHHHH to be proud of. 

So I am befuddled by the habit of so many religious Jews to refrain from wearing a yarmulke in public. Back in the 1930's, 40's and 50's kids in some circles were taught that a yarmulke is an "indoor garment". Many people from this generation still will not wear a yarmulke in public. People who learn daf yomi, daven 3 times a day with a minyan - but after shul, off goes the yarmulke and on goes the baseball cap. A sort of corrupted "girsa di-yankusa". My generation [growing up in the 70's and beyond] was not raised this way. I was never once told that I shouldn't wear my yarmulke in public. My friends and I all did without even thinking about it. Even Ben Shapiro when he speaks at the most non-Jewish places wears his yarmulke. There is nothing to be ashamed of. On the contrary - we should be SOOOOO PROUD to be members of the blessed Jewish people. 

Also, the yarmulke on our head makes us think twice before speaking or behaving in certain ways. Since we know that our behavior will reflect upon so many religious Jews, we are more careful. 

So my call is to proudly display your yarmulke!! And for those who worry about Anti-Semitism - don't! Anti-Semitic incidents are the exception [in most places] and not the rule. I have been walking around the city for the last week plus [and on countless other trips] and not one bad word about me or my yarmulke. [Although on my last trip someone called out to me "Bernie Sanders - First Jewish President". That was pretty bad...].

So caps are great - but make sure they know you are Jewish. Show that "Jew-Cap"!!.