Thursday, August 13, 2015

Like Deja Vu All Over Again - Borei Pri Ha-Geffen?

From a post that appeared yesterday. It is too important to be buried and forgotten.

Years ago, I was watching a television profile of David Geffen, the billionaire music and film producer. At some point, he said, "Show me someone who thinks that money buys happiness, and I'll show you someone who has never had a lot of money." The remark was accompanied by an ineffably sad smile on Mr. Geffen's face, which said that he had been there, done that and knew what he was talking about. The whole vignette struck me in a way that "money can't buy happiness" never had, and my visceral reaction was reinforced by one especially memorable shot during the profile, taken down the length of Mr. Geffen's private jet, along the rows of empty leather seats and sofas, to where he sat all alone in the rear.

I don't believe we can say בורא פרי הגפן. His wealth is actually a קללה. May he be zocheh to do teshuva and turn the קללה into a ברכה.