Monday, December 26, 2016

The 13 Principles - Part 12: Geirim

There is a pli-ah atzuma for which I have no resolution and would be indebted to anyone who helps. I know that it is hard for people to part with their money - otherwise I would have had a Chanuka drive and raised tens of thousands for the many poor families I know - but all I ask for is your wisdom. I have limited intelligence and need all the help I can get... 

The Rambam says that if one doesn't actively believe in all 13 principles of faith he is not a member of Klal Yisrael. Beyond the pale. Out! Rav Chaim Soloveitchik [as we have discussed] says that this applies even if one is shogeg. there are NO EXCUSES! One MUST know all of the principles. 

If so - the halacha should be that in order to convert one must know and accept all 13 principles. But that is NOT the halacha. The Rambam says that we teach a prospective convert about the prohibition of Avoda Zara and Yichud Hashem, a few mitzvos and aveiros and that's about IT! So if by not believing one is out of the "club" - how does one get IN without believing??