Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The Day Rav Yaakov Kaminetzky Quit

One of Rav Yaakov Kaminetzky's first stops on his fund-raising mission in America in 1937, was the Manhattan office of a manufacturer. Reb Yaakov produced a copy of the receipt for the previous year's donation, and then took a seat in the waiting room. After an unusually long delay, the manufacturer returned with a check made out for a smaller amount than the receipt had recorded for the previous year. 

"It's really the same as last year's contribution", explained the manufacturer. 

"But the receipt is for a larger amount." 

"Yes, I know. It was purposely done that way by your office in hope that I may duplicate that amount this year, but I knew that I had given less, so I checked my records. The amount on the check is correct". 

Reb Yaakov was shocked. "I will not work for an institution that runs a dishonest office". As he got up to leave, the contributor stopped him. "Here take the check in the meantime." 

"No, I am no longer the yeshiva's meshulach, as I resigned a minute ago. I am not authorized to accept monies on its behalf". 

The manufacturer was dumbstruck. "Don't you have a family to support?" he asked. 

"Yes, a wife and six children". [He was also deeeep in debt].

"Then take this", he said, whipping out $200 from his wallet [$200 dollars in 1937!!]. 

Reb Yaakov shrank back. "I don't accept gifts!".

 "It's a loan. Until you get another job!" 

"Thank you kindly, but G-d will provide. I do not need a loan." 

Reb Yaakov returned his portfolio and lists to the yeshiva office. The following day, he bumped into an old-time colleague from Slobodka, Reb Alter Poplack, who recommended him for the position of interim Rabbi for the Congregation Bikur Cholim in Seattle, which Reb Yaakov accepted for the following six months.