Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Hashem Is HERE!

Today is the yahrtzeit of the great gaon and tzaddik, Rav Yaakov Moshe Charlap ztz"l, the Rov of Shaarei Chesed in Yerushalyim and a heilige heilige Yid. When I was zoche to learn Torah with the bochrim [I am only one big check away from re-realizing that dream:-)], one of my favorite sets of sefarim was the Rav's Mei Marom [16 volumes!].

A short vort on this weeks parsha based on one of the sefarim [Vol. 5 page 70]: We read of Yaakov's great vision of the angels ascending and descending the latter. If it were me, I would wake up and say "COOOOL-OOOOO. ANGELS! How spiritual! I must be something special:-)". Then I would gather my family for a conference and I would tell everybody about what Abba saw. I would expand on the holiness of angels and how their entire existence is to fulfill the will of Hashem and how they are invisible but if someone becomes a spiritual being he can see them. Then I would feel really good and eat a sumptuous breakfast to celebrate my good fortune..

What was Yaakov's reaction? He experienced great fear and said "Ohmigosh!! Hashem is HERE and I didn't know!" Nothing about the angels. The reason is because when in the presence of G-d, angels are completely insignificant. Some people are so enamored of great "mekubalim" [some with the parenthesis and some without] that they forget about HASHEM. If the mekubal says to eat melave malka they will. But if Hashem commands us not to speak lashon hara that is not enough. So of course we should respect and revere tzadikim but never forget about the Boss:-)!

Then Yaakov made an oath to give big bucks. The vision didn't make him arrogant or haughty but more humble and spiritually aware.

That is "Torah she-bichtav". For some "Torah she-beal peh" you can click here.

 זכות הצדיקים יעזור ויגן ויושיע!!:-)