Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Lonely - Stay Away From Machlokes



The Satmar Rebbe, Reb Yoel, once asked Dr. Yaakov Greenwald, [a famous psychologist, Talmid Chochom and Tzadik - not in that order] for a diagnosis. “Reb Yaakov, analyze me and tell me what ails me.”

“I could never analyze the Rebbe,” the doctor replied, “but I will say this. The seforim say that the first time a term or word is used in the Torah, that reflects its essence, its truest meaning. The first time the Torah uses the term ‘lo tov’ is in the context of ‘Lo tov heyos ha’adam l’vado — It is not good for a person to be alone.’ The root of negativity and pain is loneliness.”

And then the doctor looked at the tzaddik and said, “And Rebbe, everyone knows that it’s very lonely at the top of the mountain.”

-----------

“When Rav Shach and Lubavitch had differences," his son related, "I came home, eager to hear my father’s take. He was a real baal hashkafah, and I was sure he would have insight into the disagreement, but when I asked him, he looked at me in astonishment. ‘What’s your last name, Itche Meir?’ he asked me, repeating the question a few times. I had no idea what he meant. Finally, he explained, ‘Is your last name Shach?’ he asked me, ‘or is it maybe Schneerson? 

How exactly does this machlokes pertain to you?”