Sunday, August 9, 2015

How To Teach A Child To Daven - Whom You Should Learn With - Whom I Learn With- Rav Aharon Can Mean A Lot Of People

Rabbi Hillel Goldberg relates an incident involving Rav Yitzchok Hutner. He had observed a father disciplining his son to daven. Every time the child would get up or divert his attention, the father sternly redirected him. It was a battle.

“What are you doing?” Rav Hutner asked the father.
 
“I’m teaching my son to daven!” answered the father.
 
“No, you’re not,” said Rav Hutner. “You're teaching your son to grow up to tell his own son to be quiet, to sit down, to pay attention,... If you want to teach your son to daven, then daven!”
 
(The Jewish Parent Connection, Vol. 3, No. 5, 1995, p. 14. I thank my beloved friend and chavrusa R' Meyer Simcha Stromer Shlita for sending. I thank his father in law [a star talmid of HaGaon Rav Aharon ztz"l - he of Soloveitchikian fame] for being his other chavrusa, making him an even better chavrusa for me:-). I would have a chavrusa with my father in law but as I mentioned recently, that would involve either tchiyas hameyisim [GREAT!] or me going to the olam she-koolo tov [trying to postpone the trip...]. But if you have a father in law - learn with him. Your wife is not your chavrusa - but your shver can be. The when you have a shver Rambam, you can say "Shver, this is shver!")