Wednesday, January 25, 2017

When Does One Say Ha-gomel?

לרפואת הרב בנימין יהודה בן רחל
הרב יצחק בן ברכה
ושרה לאה בת רבקה

When I was in NY, I went up to the Torah after the reading and said Birkas Ha-gomel on my flight. I was shushed up and told that Ha-gomel must be said after kaddish and not before. I shamefully admitted to the person who rebuked me that I don't know halacha because I haven't been zocheh to learn Torah. My son went up after the kaddish and said his Ha-gomel.

So what IS the halacha??

The Shulchan Aruch just says to make the bracha at the time of Krias Hatorah if possible but doesn't tell us if the kaddish comes first or second. 

So I present you with two sources on the topic - From the Belzer Dayan Rav Gross Shlita and Rav Ephraim Greenblatt z"l from Memphis:
 

BOTTOM LINE: However you do it is fine - both before and after krias hatorah.