Thursday, July 30, 2020

Pants For My Rebbetzin?? A New Phase In Life???

Tomorrow is my 26th anniversary. My wife told me [I am not making this up...] that she wants ..... PANTS for a present. 馃槰馃槻

?????????????

[Cheaper than jewelry THANK G-D - but a BIZARRE request]. 

She is REALLY not the type to "wear the pants in the family". I wish she would. Not in the sense of actually wearing pants but doing what people who wear pants usually do which I am not the most skilled at - making money... 

So what is this weird request from a "Haredi" woman to receive pants as an anniversary present all about? Bad for the shidduchim of our children!! What will the neighbors say?? What will HASHEM say?? 

It turns out that I have one pair of weekday pants so she wants ME to have a second pair. 馃槍 [Relieved emoji] 

I don't really feel deprived. I only wear one pair at a time so why would I need two?? 

If the pants were for her I would probably be more amenable to buying them. Not b/c I think it is Halachically permitted or recommended for women to wear pants or that I would like it but b/c I have a rule that has served me well all these years: I don't get involved in my wife's religiosity. It is between her and Hashem. I recommend this to everyone else. Unless your spouse SOLICITS and seeks out your opinion on their behavior, critical comments only increase friction. Who needs it??? 

What one could do is convey displeasure in a subtle way but that requires being very careful. 

Remember the Halachic principal: 

"讻砖诐 砖诪爪讜讛 诇讜诪专 讚讘专 讛谞砖诪注 - 讻讱 诪爪讜讛 砖诇讗 诇讜诪专 讚讘专 砖讗讬谞讜 谞砖诪注." 

Only rebuke when your words will be heeded. 

This is a very sensitive topic and consult a Rov for practical applications.