Thursday, February 23, 2012

רצה - צהר- צרה

From my mailbox - R' Daniel Zweigbaum


.....Also, a reflection I had upon reading your post regarding the word "tzarus":


After learning that the letters in the word 'tzarah' can be turned into 'rotzeh', I began to think of the connection between the two. In my humble opinion It all comes down to "perception" - Tzarah which was defined has difficulty, comes straight from Hashem, and if we realize that any challenge/nisayon was His 'rotzeh' (which I would define as want/desire) then this should be enough to serve as a consolation, because we know that Hashem is in always in control and only does what's best from us.

A personal example of this goes as follows:

When I was a 17 year old boy, I was deciding which Yeshiva to attend. I only applied to one Yeshiva as most of my friends had gone there in the past, and that's where a lot of my friends were going that year. My parents however, even after countless hours of debates and arguing, decided that for various reasons they don't want me going to that institution. Obviously, to say that I was bitter and upset wouldn't do how I felt justice, as this left me with no yeshiva to go to. Luckily, I had one good friend attending Netiv Aryeh and he pushed me to go there with him. At netiv, I met someone named Yaakov who I shmoozed with every now and then, but wouldn't necessarily consider us the best of friends.
Fast forward 4 years later. I'm at my cousins l'chaim and I see Yaakov and we start to talk again. In accordance with the way the jewish world works, I received a text from him a few days later, as he wanted to set me up with the girl who B'H I'm now married to. Clearly Hashem knew what was best for me, and used my parents to ensure that I would go to Netiv, and then of course set me on the path to meet my wife.

That tzarah that my family and I went through during the months that we spent arguing about which Yeshiva I should go to, was all for nought. I could've spared both myself and my family a lot of anger and bitterness, if I would've just realized sooner that the tzarah was Hashem's rotzeh. Embedding this idea within ourselves, would enable us to take every nisayon we face in life and turn it into an opportunity for us to build upon our emunah in Ha'kadosh Boruch Hu.

May we all be blessed with lives filled with simcha, and may we recognise that our loving Father is always watching out for us.