Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Professor And Avoda Zara In The House

Rav Moshe Ben-Tov z"l was a famous mezuza reader in yerushalayim. Bring him your mezuzas and tefillin, he'll tell you your problems [I was there and WOW]. A myseh...

HaRabbanit Dvora Swissa from Yerushalayim relates:

After I was injured in a car accident I brought my mezuzas to the Rav and asked him what I need to fix. He looked at them for a little while and then said - "You have avoda zara in your house. You have to get rid of it."

"Avoda zara?? In my house? Can't be."

"Maybe books of avoda? I see avoda zara".

I went home and checked all of the books and all we had were sifrei kodesh - not even a secular book. I forgot about it and went back to the routine of daily life.

Some time later the Rav looked at our mezuzas and again told us we have avoda zara in the house. I tried to think where we might have avoda zara in the house. Then I remembered that in the attic we have suitcases filled with books from my grandfather who was a talmid chochom and Professor of Literature in Germany. I asked my son's kallah who speaks a number of languages to examine the books in the suitcases. She did and found a number of books that teach a person how to engage in idolatrous practices! Of course we took out all of the books, made a bonfire and put them in...

Tzadik Hamezuzas Page 149