Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Yechi Adoneinu

Recently we have discussed the importance of being sensitive to other peoples feelings. I unfortunately sometimes fail and read the blog avidly hoping that reading about sensitivity will enhance my own.

A myseh where I think I was successful....

The other morning I am going to mikva with Avi [a child is not allowed to see his father in his mikva "garb" and we try to be careful about that]. I walk in and lo and behold - it's hoppin'! Loads of teenagers getting dressed and otherwise, purifying themselves before another day of Avodas Hashem. They looked Lubavitch so I asked a fellow there [looked like one of the Rabbeim] if they are Lubavitch. He answered in the affirmative. So I said "If I sing יחי [אדוננו מורנו ורבינו מלך המשיח לעולם לעולם ועד] will they join me?" "Try it and see" he answered with a trace of a smile.

I was ready! Imagine the scene. A mikva dressing room and a few dozen people breaking out into a song [a catchy one at that] celebrating a certain figure as Moshiach led by someone who doesn't believe he is alive or Moshiach!! In modern Hebrew slang they would say איייזה קטעעע! This would really have put a smile on everybody's face.

But AAHHHHHHHHH my son Avi would have been so HUMILIATED as children often are by their father [my children more than most. What's wrong with talking to a cat and saying things like "Good morning Mrs. Katz" as I often do.]. So I RESTRAINED MYSELF and explained to my new Lubavitch friend that nebach my son goes to a Litvishe cheder where such Messianic sentiments are not appreciated.

May the Good Lord give me the כח and שכל to always say the right things and avoid saying the wrong things.

And you too....:-)