Saturday, March 3, 2012

Human Objects

Scene 1: A man walks down the street and sees an attractive woman, his eyes start making their way out of his skull but an internal mechanism compels him to move on and continue walking.

Scene 2: A man walks into a restaurant and he has a waitress who is wearing a name tag that reads "Wendy". Her name tag might as well say "Two Hands" because that is all she is for him.

Scene 3: A girl marries a boy and she spends a great deal of time being concerned that he support her well, provide companionship, children and ..... Pesach in Arizona.

Scene 4: A fundraiser [don't you hate 'em. I would - but then I'd lose my best friend in the whole world. I love him and he loves me and the love will remain eternal. Of that I am sure. I hope I find more people like that but in the meantime I have him...] meets a rich person in shul. "Good Shabbos", he says in a friendly voice. He spends the next 10 minutes "shmoozing him up" while all the time thinking, consciously or unconsciously, "How am I going to get money out of him".

The common denominator of all of these scenes is that one person is treating another as an OBJECT and not as an independent human being with feelings, fears, hopes, aspirations and everything else that makes up a human being.

My point in short is that I believe we all treat others as objects from time to time and that we should stop. People are people and should be respected outside of any service they may be able to provide.

Much more to say but that's the nucleus of the idea. I always learn from feedback....