Monday, March 24, 2014

The Chasam Sofer Against Yeshiva?

A beloved friend sent me a link to a blog that quoted a "startling" Chasam Sofer that in Israel there is a special mitzva to work as it is considered "settling the land". So empty out the yeshivos, proclaimed the blogger, and off to work.


I have known this Chasam Sofer for maybe 20 years. I am sure that the Gedolei Yisrael know this Chasam Sofer as well. I must say that if I know the Chasam Sofer as I think I do - today he would be the biggest proponent of kollel. The reason is that today in order to make a decent living one must use the Internet. The Chasam Sofer would NEVER go for that. He would encourage everyone to stay faaaaar away and to remain in Kollel.


In addition, the gemara says יפתח בדורו כשמואל בדורו - every generation has their leaders. The leader of the Jews two hundred years ago was the Chasam Sofer. He is no longer and we follow the leaders of this generation [despite the complete lack of respect people have for them. I have a friend who is a successful businessman but not much of a scholar. I was once offended that he spoke to me as if he was my teacher even though he knows so little and so superficially. I now see that he relates to all the Gedolei Hador and Roshei Yeshiva in the same way so I am in good company. They just don't get it, in his opinion. Only he does. Ahhhhhh - what I would do to see more humility in our world of "everyone's opinion has equal merit"].


That being said - I am compelled to add that those who work in Israel [and even in chutz la-aretz] are doing a great mitzva. But so are the learners. I once again suggest that we let each person consult with his Rav as to the right derech for himself.