Monday, March 24, 2014

The Miraculous Creation Of My Plane

I sat on the plane next to a super-secular-super-left-wing-grandmother. She clearly has a much greater affinity for her five dogs and Arabs than she does for religious Jews. She kept egging me on to get into religious debates with her [e.g. by telling me how "stupid" - מטומטם - our laws are]. I relented [I had nowhere to run to...]. I discovered that her philosophical sophistication was on a scale of 1-10 about 0.13. I asked her if she agrees that the world is complex and she agreed that it is. I then asked if it is logical to say that complex things don't happen completely by accident and that it would therefore make sense to say that Someone or something intelligent created it. She replied [as she did innumerable times] "I don't know".


I then told her that when I get home I am going to tell my children that the airplane I flew in was created when a bunch of guys were sitting in a room playing with explosives and suddenly there was a "Big Bang" and the plane came into being. She said זה מטומטם - That is stupid.


The plane could not have been an accident. Only the universe was.....


During the course of the conversation I discovered that she doesn't read [she is dyslexic]. She knows all the answers while admitting that she knows nothing because she doesn't read. Hmmmm.


She showed me pictures of her daughter [who is well enough off to buy two apartments in Manhattan but, nebuch, can't afford sleeves. I tried not to look...] and grandchildren. I bless her that they should all be chozer bitshuva:-).