Monday, July 31, 2023

Judicial Reform And Mental Health

Why are there so many demonstrations about the judicial reform?

Nobody is saying it but this is the unadulterated truth [as I see it]: Everybody wants to be happy. If people are demonstrating, it is their way of saying that this reform will make us unhappy. The other side feels that the reform will make them happy. 

Both sides are mistaken. One can be perfectly happy regardless. Happiness is a function of having meaning and purpose, quality relationships and a healthy body and soul - among other things. But it is certainly not dependent on yes judicial reform or no judicial reform. 

When Trump was elected, millions of Americans went through severe emotional trauma. But that trauma was based on a false narrative. They thought that now they will be miserable for the next four years b/c of Trump. But had they not watched or listened to the news they would have found out something interesting - their lives didn't change in the slightest. Everything they did before Trump they can continue doing. They can continue enjoying hobbies, reading books, watching sports and Netflix, eating ice cream, getting married and divorced  - whatever. Nothing of substance  changed in their life. If watching and listening to Trump bothered them - they could pretend he doesn't exist. I don't watch Biden's speeches because I consider him a slightly [with much progression in the future] demented Bozo. I was upset when he won so I decided that my life will continue as it was and I will try to avoid him. I have no control over him or what he does or says so instead I try to focus on areas of life where I do have some control. I only use him for the comic relief it affords me. And I don't have to worry about what will be with the world because Hashem runs the world. My job is to be a good boy, learn a little bit of Torah when I can [I aim for 15 minutes a week - minimum!], daven and try to keep the mitzvos as best I can.

Mussar Haskel: Focus on areas of life where you have control. Your happiness is dependent upon you and your attitude to life and very little on external circumstances [barring mental illness].