Sunday, August 28, 2016

He Should Have Hesitated

The famous rap star Matisyahu who at one point became religious and then reverted back to his old self and abandoned religious observance. He also lost his wife and custody of their children along the way [to lose a connection with Hashem and a wife and children at the the same time can't be easy]. I am not judging - he had a very troubled childhood and continues to be troubled. I will let Hashem judge him [but I won't listen to his music as I hope you won't either]. 

In an interview he said something very instructive for us. He said that when he went off the path "I didn't hesistate to follow my instincts".

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Instincts. We have another name for that. The "yetzer hara". 

So let use rephrase what he said: "I didn't hesistate to follow my yetzer hara." 

Shabbos Mevorchim Elul right behind us and 40 intense days of teshuva in front of us. Let us GO FOR IT!! Beat those "instincts".