Saturday, December 31, 2011

Historical Accuracy

Sorry, I'm a stickler for truth. As I was typing up an article on the din of tosefes rosh chodesh I was listening to a shiur on YUTORAH where the good rabbi was mentioning great female scholars. He talked about Rebbetzin Baila Hinda who edited her husband Rav Isser Zalman Meltzer's Even Haezel al HaRambam.

This shiur is on-line and will remain there but that is a misleading statement. As he writes in the preface to Sefer Kinyan she indeed took care of his health and was involved in the technical aspects of printing his sfarim and copied his manuscript into legible hebrew but he never says she edited it. To edit his work would require many years of intense Talmud study which she lacked [unless she had some secret learning seder that nobody knows about].

So I salute all woman who know Torah. There is no greater acquisition in this world than Torah. But I felt I had to set the record straight.

Lesson: Don't believe everything everybody says....

:-)

Even me.

Feel free to challenge.

Only Hashem is perfect.