Wednesday, July 18, 2018

ON SALE!!:-)

Very often we purchase items or receive services and are told that we are receiving a discount or "it is on sale". This is, I believe a fiction and a manipulation of the mind [which works because even I feel good knowing that I received a discount when I don't really believe in the whole concept]. There is no true objective price for an item and unless the seller is taking a loss, how much he charges is just a question of how much profit he is going to make. When you go to the supermarket and it says "sale price $6.99 regular price $8.99" it is just an expression of their belief that they will make more money charging $6.99 and telling the customers that it is on sale that by charging $8.99 without the claim of a "sale". 

Today I went to the dentist. He charged me $100's of dollars an hour for his work but assured me that I am getting a discount. Now, he can charge whatever he wants, he studied many years to become a dentist, he has a high overhead, he works hard, he has to spend all day with his face in people's mouths with all of the saliva and gook that goes along with that, he can't mess up because if he does irreparable harm can be caused so it is stressful, he is saving my tooth etc. etc. All true. I just recoil at the suggestion that I am really getting a "discount". He can say "Hey - your teeth are worth millions of dollars to you. I am only charging you "X" amount. So you are getting millions of dollars off. Aren't you happy??"

Yes - and no. Happy my tooth is being healed and protected. But a little bit ill at ease with the notion that for 3 hours of work someone can charge someone else almost an entire months salary.

And then tell him that he is getting a discount....


But please don't tell me bubba-myses about discounts:-).     

#theblogisfree