Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Like A Business

When I was a child I had a father - and I still do zol zein gezunt and SHTARK! - and he NEVER missed a day of work [except once that I remember he remained home sick]. He also didn't leave early. He worked HARD!

Every morning he serves as the explanation for my birkas hatorah: לעסוק בדברי תורה - literally - make Torah like a business. Take it seriously. Never miss. The stakes are HIGH. Our "livelihood" is at stake. כי הם חיינו - Torah is our lives.

Many years ago Yeshivat Hakotel had a Rebbe named Rav Shagar. He once came to yeshiva running a HIIIIGH fever. At one point he dropped to the floor of the beis medrash in a dead faint. When he regained consciousness he was asked why he came to yeshiva when so ill. He explained that his father was a carpenter and worked no matter how he felt. This is how he was raised and this is how he lives.

Torah is also an עסק.