Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Sad Simcha

I am in someone's home and I see a Jewish newspaper so I start reading. I see a picture [who doesn't like to look at pictures] of a chosson and kallah on the mazel tov page. I have almost never been so sad when I saw a picture in my life.

SAD???

A chosson and kallah and Ally is sad??

Very sad.

????

Because I know the chosson and last I checked he was married with a large family!!

I just found out at that moment that he had gotten divorced. How sad. So of course I began to speculate as to why it happened. Then I told myself that it's NONE of my business and even THINKING about it is an INVASION of their privacy. [Sorry to ruin any interesting shabbos table discussions about "the latest".]

A word about divorce.

John Gottman [who wears a nice big yommy on his head] says that the average time that elapses between when a couple needs help and actually gets it is a whopping SIX YEARS. When a person leaves a tumor untreated for so long he is ...dead. So the marriage.

Sweetest friends - some free advice from a man whose been around the block a few times [primarily because I have a strong predilection to getting lost]. BEFORE you get married speak to someone. A wise Rav, a therapist, someone who knows what he/she is talking about. An ounce of prevention is worth a thousand pounds of cure - and MUCH easier to facilitate. It might cost a few bucks but it's cheaper than a divorce and will cause infinitely less anguish.

EVERY couple has "stuff" and it's incumbent upon them to keep their fingers on the pulse of their relationship to observe any irregularities. [I liked that sentence! Sounds almost professional except for the word "stuff".] They must start early and be on constant watch. Otherwise the relationship slowly deteriorates. It's nice to win the lottery twice or to go to Florida multiple times [if you like sun, fun and sand but have blinders] but NOBODY wants to get married more than once.

So please take these words to heart. I don't want to see YOUR picture with your second spouse...