Thursday, June 14, 2018

Me And Barack - Scary Dogs - Fancy Homes

Barack Obama raised over a BILLION dollars to be elected President. 

So like this - If you DIDN'T like his politics then clearly you believe that the divrei Torah we share are worth more. 

If you DID like his politics  - you have to admit that it wasn't his TORAH that you liked and Torah is worth more than politics. 

But I don't ask for a BILLION dollars. I just ask that those scary barking dogs coming from the Arab village next to where I live stop barking all night because they scare me half to death. Thank G-d the halves don't combine for another 3,500 dollars and the new site will be up in days and paid for without having to incur debt.

And then - more Torah in a more fashionable, upgraded, easier to use home. Like moving from my cluttered Lower East Side tenement building in the 1920's uptown to my fancy shmancy Central Park West luxury apartment. A mechaye!!

Which brings me to a point I was pondering today. I have two friends who spent insane amounts of money that they didn't have to renovate their apartments. I understand that a person wants to live in a nice apartment. I do too. But I was thinking of the Tzadikim and gedolim I have met and been at their homes. Rav Shlomo Zalman, Rav Elyashiv, Rav Shteinman. So simple. No frills. Furniture from the period of the Ottoman Empire and dishes from bayis sheni. Yet, they didn't feel like they lacked a THING! They were so content with their lot as long as they were serving Hashem. So they didn't NEED or WANT to have that fancy new kitchen put in and were thus saved from having to borrow and then pay off debt. Having simple tastes makes life simple......

Where they rich? Crazzzzy rich.

איזהו עשיר? השמח בחלקו! 


I THANK MY SWEETEST FRIENDS WHO HAVE ALREADY CONTRIBUTED. SO, I AM SURE, DOES MY WIFE FOR IT KEEPS ME AT THE COMPUTER AND OUT OF THE KITCHEN [which is much larger than the gedolim's kitchen, I am sure]!!!