Tuesday, August 20, 2019

The Math Of Ma'asim Tovim From An Untrained Non-Math Guy

We don't take small thoughts, speech or actions seriously. But in Shomayim - they have a different grading system.

Consider: A person has 5 million dollars in the bank. He lives in Israel so if every dollar is 3.50 shekels that translates into 17,500,000 shekels. Cool. I wish it upon all of us! [זרעינו וכספינו ירבה כחול].

Now, let us say the dollar devalues. Not by much. Just 3 agurot [not even one penny!!] for every dollar. 3.47. How much did he lose? He is down to 17,350,000. He lost ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND SHEKEL!! Less than a penny devaluation and he lost enough that would cover  a down payment on a house or a really luxurious sports car or minivan!!!

I am no mathematician. I passed the ninth grade algebra regents [a miracle almost as big as קריעת ים סוף], studied some geometry in tenth grade and then retired from active math duty. I didn't enjoy it and wasn't very good at it. Like I said, I am not a math person. [Although I must say that I am only a million dollar donation away from getting an honorary doctorate at the university of my choice.... If you can't work for it - pay for it😀😀] But that is the math. 

In ruchniyos, one little מחשבה ,דיבור or מעשה that we disregard can have similar MASSIVE effects.  

The מידה טובה is always stronger [see Yoma 76]. If the dollar appreciates from 3.50 to 3.53 [less than a penny!] you went up to seventeen million six hundred fifty thousand. 150,000 shek!

WOW!!!!

So never underestimate the value of one positive thought, speech or action. Up there - it is HUUUUUGEEEE!