Thursday, August 22, 2019

Higher Ideals


Any detachment between your heart with its yearning and goals for the present [I want to be rich, I want to "make partner", I want to go to Miami for vacation, I want a new car, I want to pay off my college loans and my mortgage etc. etc.] and the Divine purposes and ideals for creation such as the world to come and the resuscitation of the dead, when it happens both on the individual level or on the national level undermines the foundation of happiness and goodness. If a person lives the here and now, he can't be truly happy. Such an attitude is so limiting and narrow. 

If there is merely a vague and tenuous connection between the here and now, our present goals, and the ultimate ideals and purpose of life - that empowers us for generations and allows us to overcome the many obstacles in our way. 

NEVER FORGET THE BIGGER PICTURE!!

כל נתיקה שבמערכי הלב מהקוים העליונים הארוכים, במרחקי אידיאליהם העליונים, כשהיא באה בין ביחיד ובין בצבור הרי היא מערערת את יסוד האושר והטוב כולו. גם בצורה כהה וזעירה, כשחל בה רוח העליון, המאוגד לאידיאליות המאושרה באושר בלא גבול, הרי יש בה מעין חיים ההולך ומתגבר, מחיה דורות, מאשר תקופות, ומישר דרך לעמים רבים, מדריך עולמים לחיי עולמי עד ומפנה להם את המכשולות שבארחות חייהם הקטנים והזמניים. 


[שמנה קבצים ה' רל"ה]