Wednesday, May 30, 2018

How Far Does Free Choice Go? Two Scandals

I heard a Rosh Yeshiva encouraging the boys in his yeshiva to get a filter for their smartphones. He said that he won't force them and gives them free choice but they are strongly encouraged to do so since a yeshiva is a place of kedusha. 

I was wondering if he allows boys to bring live, naked girls into the dorm? Does he give the boys "free choice"?? Probably not - so why does he allow them to bring naked girls on a video screen?

It completely eludes me how any "yeshiva" can call itself that knowing that the boys are contaminating themselves with terrible filth in the dorms [and elsewhere]. But yet - there are many such institutions.

Wonder of wonders.

I was once at a place where boys were watching movies and had full Internet access in the Beis Medrash. And nothing was done [maybe because some of the rabbeim also had their smartphones in the Beis Medrash.]     

To my mind - this is a scandal. 

Sadly, I am no big Baal Tzdaka but if I were, I would [בל"נ] happily donate to yeshivos that insist on basic standards of purity [with a smile and much love and warmth].

On that note I read that at certain universities the graduation ceremonies took place this year on Shavuos so the Orthodox students asked for and were granted an alternative ceremony.

Another wonder. A boy or girl willingly spends four years on a secular college campus which is rampant with sexual promiscuity but then suddenly won't attend a graduation ceremony on Yuntiv - which isn't even assur. If they would ask me I would tell them to better skip the four years and attend the graduation ceremony. I have quite a bit of gray in my beard, am married with adult children, am afraid of G-d and being punished for my sins, and nevertheless would be afraid to spend ONE WEEKEND on a college campus. But these young kids, with their raging hormones, spend years there.

And even pay [quite often] 50k plus-minus to do it.

Another scandal.