Thursday, May 10, 2018

The Desire To Do Teshuva

לזכות מרת הענא מרים בת חנה 
הרב צוריאל בן שושנה

Sometimes there is a tremendous, overpowering internal desire to do teshuva that can totally discombobulate one's emotional equilibrium. At those times one must elevate himself higher than his present level in order to establish firm footing and make proper order in his internal world. It happens that the need to do teshuva is so strong that a person is OVERWHELMED! How can I fix all of my bad middos? My tyveh for women, for food, my love of sleep, my natural qualities of laziness, anxiety, anger, my כיסופין for כסף [pining for money] etc. etc. etc. How can I change all of my bad habits?? I feel IMPRISONED!!!

But then the Light of Justice and Goodness will shine on the person and he can return with all of his heart and soul.

וְזָרְחָה לָכֶם יִרְאֵי שְׁמִי שֶׁמֶשׁ צְדָקָה וּמַרְפֵּא בִּכְנָפֶיהָ וִיצָאתֶם וּפִשְׁתֶּם כְּעֶגְלֵי מַרְבֵּק

But unto you that fear My name shall the sun of righteousness arise with healing in its wings; And you shall go forth, and gambol [become many] as calves of the stall. [Malachi 3/20]




המוסר הפנימי צועק הוא לקרבו של אדם : בן אדם שובה מעונותיך. לפעמים הצעקה כל כך הומה היא עד שהיא מערבבת את כל ההרמוניה של החיים, והאדם מוכרח לעלות במעלות הרוחניות הגבוהה מערכו, עד כדי לבסס את סדר עולמו הפנימי. אבל כאן הגבורה מוכרחה לבא לעזרה, גבורתו הפנימית של האדם צריכה לעמוד לו בעת כשלון הרוח היותר מרור. מפני אמץ הכח של התביעה המוסרית לפעמים מבולבל הוא האדם ואינו יכול להחלץ ממסגרותיו, מדות ותכונות רעות, מעשים רעים, עוזבי דרך תורה ומוסר, מעיקים עליו, רואה הוא דרכו סוכה בסירים, אין מוצא לתקון, חבול הוא בידי אחרים ואין מעמד: - אבל מכל אלה אור שמש צדקה יזרח.